Thursday, January 10, 2008

Devotion in Stereo

Music: All I ask of You-Phantom of the Opera
Mood: Reverent

Songs of true devotion:

I was simply attempting to practice vocals, when I stumbled across a huge revelation. I was singing "I’ll Go Where You Want Me To Go" (for those who aren’t LDS, please at least listen to the song) It is a standard at Missionary “going-away’s” but it is so much more then that. This song lights me on fire man.

The basic idea of the song is a covenant. If you (Christ) will hold my hand and guide me through it all no matter what it is or where it is I will follow you. I will do what you want me to do, I’ll go where you want me to go, I’ll say what you want me to say.

This is a song of pure faith. A song of devotion. Music is HOLY. It is not only right, but it is imperative that you raise your voices in song to your Creator. Music is meant to delight the soul of man as well, but it is intended to delight the soul of man as far as it serves to remind him of the premortal life that he spent in the presence of his God.

Creativity, beauty, the human spirit these are all things that please God.

Please exercise, and use your talents. It is pleasing to your Father, he will wait for you.

I do want to write about “If you could hie to Kolob” but that song has all but been removed from the hymnal. I don’t want to bring it to light in this forum and risk it being removed for good, but PLEASE PLEASE ask me about this song if you want to discuss devotional songs and the nature and purpose of life.

1 comment:

BHodges said...

Kolob. A great song, in fact.