Saturday, January 5, 2008

Spiral Musings...

Music: Some Enchanted Evening-Jay & The Americans
Mood: Reflectalicious

We left Salt Lake City at about 9:30 a.m. on 1/1/08. I was nervous about what I would find there, but I knew I had to look. I went to the Jetty as a religious pilgrimage. I went seeking God. We were the first to arrive, and so it was completely deserted. All you could see was the Jetty itself, and salt for miles and miles. It seemed to meet with the horizon. At first I was resentful because I didn’t understand there would be such rocky terrain so I sat in solitude on top of the mountain, watching and praying. When the time was right I was able to find an alternate route down to the salt. It was beautiful…a vast expanse of nothing but salt that could be walked on. It glittered in the sun, each grain winking at me with reflected glory. We walked over to the spiral jetty and while I declined walking the spiral I was certainly able to appreciate the work that was placed into it. The hand of God, and the hand of Man. We picked our way back up the hill, and then parted ways. I went to do what I had come there for. I sought solitude with only my mind, a pen, and paper. I didn’t wind up writing anything down; some things are too good for words. We left at around 3:30p.m to come back to Salt Lake City. I had accomplished what I went there for. I didn’t find all my answers, but I did find some, and that is good enough for me. I was glad I went simply because I went with a right-thinking head, and emerged triumphant from that salty stretch of land.

Observe:


Quacky New Year

No comments: