Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Morning Silos

Music: Through Poland to a Jewish Village
Mood: Stability-Light

I have been doing a great deal of internal searching this past week or so. I needed to find my community, a place where I could exist without preconceived notions, just a place to be me. I am not going to say "Oh, Lordy, Lordy my place has come!" or anything like that, but I am cautiously optimistic about a new blog-site I have been frequenting. It is a place for seeking deep theology, intellectual discussions, points-counterpoints, and general snarkiness; it was made for me.

Unfortunately many churches nowadays are more concerned with putting forth a culture rather than talking about doctrine. This is frustrating in the extreme. I actually need the opposite, I need the theology and to leave the culture at home. No man is an island is a concept I have struggled with my whole adulthood. If I could live on a deserted (air conditioned) island with all my needs I would essentially be set for life. This is impossible though. People need people. We are social creatures for a reason even though some are more so than others. It is not that I am anti-social even, I just generally prefer to be alone with my thoughts.

My brain gives me little rest time. There is always a typhoon swirling around in there and it can be very hard to shut off. It takes me a long time to process the feelings surrounding situations so my brain is constantly grinding. I am unhappy to not be in therapy, but there are no viable options here. I learned that the hard way. I need someone besides myself to tell me I matter.

They say you are never alone if you have God, and I agree with that to an extent, but God gave us family, community, the wide world full of 7 billion+ people. If we can reach out and touch each others lives even if it is through a computer we can help each other to keep on moving toward an eternal goal.

I Quack therefore I am.

2 comments:

Deb Stevens said...

In some ways I feel like the internet is a gift (one that can and is obviously misused sometimes?) given to us because there are just so many of us. So yes, we can use that gift to connect with a community of people no matter where they are who share a lot of the same viewpoints as you, or who will accept and love you even when they don't.

I love that your island is air conditioned. How'd you hook that one up?

By the way, have I said yet how much I love, love, love that you're blogging again? I don't know why, exactly, but it makes my heart happy.

Duckie said...

Blogging again makes my heart happy too, and it makes my heart happy that yours is :)

Re: My air conditioned island paradise; it reminds me of a story...

When I was working at Marriott there was a woman washing her hands in the bathroom when I walked in and she was like "Oh, I wish we could only work 4 days and get paid for 5 don't you?" I said "Well, if you're making wishes, why not wish that you were independently wealthy and didn't have to come here at all?" She was not amused. I was though--rather.