Monday, April 23, 2012

About a book

Music: Now Let Us Rejoice-LDS Hymnal
Mood: Enjoying the sounds of the rain

I don't normally do a book review because I prefer to enjoy a book for what it is rather than attempt to explain it to someone.  To me, a book should be an escape, or a knowledge-seeking experience (emotional or intellectual) so I certainly don't want to attach a chore, or work to it in the form of a review. This is not a book review though, so much as a Duck review brought on by a book.

A while ago, my dear friend Sister Wall lent me a book called Hope Rising by Kim Meeder.  I was already in full swing of the semester by then and the title made me have such a negative reaction to the book that I never even cracked it.  Last Sunday I was looking for something to read to pass time before I had to get ready for Church.  I have plenty of books, but I wanted something that would get me in the "right" mood.  I cracked the book, and noticed that it was made of smaller chapters.  This would be perfect because as you may or may not know I have a very hard time stopping reading in the middle of a chapter.  This way I could get quite a few chapters done and still have time to stop and get ready when I needed to.

This book--oh my--this book.  I am not a crier, but I have cried during every chapter that I have read so far.  The subject, concept, writing, and spirit of this book is beyond what I can really describe.  It has already become very special to me and I have designated it my "Sunday Morning Book".  It is not a novel, there is no real plot to speak of but it is more a series of short stories that all share an overarching theme.  Beautiful in its simplicity, and thrilling in its complexity.  Just the thing I needed on that day, and yesterday as well.

Being around so many people (at Church) especially those who want to talk to you, and touch your arm, and ask you who you are, or introduce yourself is extremely hard for me.  I started having a panic attack last Sunday morning just thinking about it.  This book helped to calm me in right away and helped me to look outside of myself.  Helped me to be mindful that even if I don't need Church, maybe Church needs me. 

I feel bad about still having her book, but once I am finished I will return it to her and buy my own copy.  Even though I have a Kindle, I want to own this book.  I want to flip its pages, and perhaps even do some highlighting which is normally blasphemy for me.  However, this book has already taught me such a great deal--about myself, about others, about the value of a companion when your soul is hurting--that it would be remiss of me to allow it to sit pristine and untouched on my shelf.

Quack Rising

No comments: