Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bum Bum Buuuuuuummmmmm

Music: Personal Jesus-Depeche Mode
Mood: Tired

Cultural Mormonism will be the death of the religion.  That is a paraphrased quote by me in a text message to a friend of mine who is a writer on the Bloggernacle.

For those not "in the know" there is a group of folks--largely centered in Utah--who are what is known as "Cultural Mormons."  These cultural Mormons most times believe little, if any, of the actual doctrinal concepts contained within their religion yet they insist on being Mormons and ruining it for everyone else. 

Mormon Culture (not to be confused with Cultural Mormons) is rich in history, revelation, sacrifice, martyrdom, striving, and co-operation.  Pioneer heritage real or adopted is worn as a sort of badge of honor.  The struggle of a people persecuted and oft times killed or harangued for their religious beliefs cannot help but be sympathetic, and so the story of such a group of people who went on to not only survive, but flourish cannot help but be admired.

Cultural Mormonism is what happens when people are too attached to the history that they cannot see that they no longer belong.  I want to make a special note here about the environment throughout much of Utah where if one is not Mormon one is usually a second class citizen.  Sometimes a person's own family will threaten, or go through with disowning them if they feel they are not living up to standards they (not God!!!) have set.  This is a large part of the reason Cultural Mormonism has become the monster that it is today.  Due to societal and familial pressure (real or imagined) people will feel that they NEED to stay a part of The Church.  I am here to tell you that if your family will disown you because you do not believe what they believe they are terrorists.  I am not throwing that word around lightly as so many do, but these actions are terrorism.  Do what I say, or face my consequences.

It is up to the individual themselves to stand up and say that if you do not love me because I do not believe as you do then you don't really love me.  Unfortunately, this is a flat-out pipe dream on my part as the majority of people are far too weak to do such a thing.  Instead, they will stay in The Church, resenting all of the wrong people, and steadily attempting to chip away at doctrine until it is unrecognizable.

Cultural Mormonism is the driving force behind this attempt to cozy up to mainstream Christians.  It is a desperate attempt to belong to, what?  A different group of people who hate you for your beliefs?  Seriously, if you do not believe in Mormon doctrine, and you are more comfortable with mainstream Christians then please I beg you to go join them.  You will be happier that way instead of trying desperately to straddle a fence that is just too wide.  We are Christians because we follow Christ, but we are very different than mainstream Christians.  We are a people apart, peculiar, bold in our worship and in proclamation of our beliefs.  THAT is the Pioneer spirit.  Not sniveling around running away from what we believe and hiding it under a rock so no one judges us.

The greatest part about any religion is the fact that if you do not agree or do not want to be a part of it you don't have to be.  You may feel pressure, and there may be consequences, but despite what anyone tells you these will not be eternal consequences.  They are consequences by misled Mommy's and Daddy's and siblings who can't tell the damn difference between Satan's Plan and the Plan of Salvation.  The best thing you can do is assert your free agency--your God given right and obligation to choose.  Lukewarm fence dwellers will be spit out of His mouth.  Boldly claim what is yours, whatever that may be.

Cultural Mormonism alternately makes me sad and angry.  It makes me angry because I am tired of the direction people are heading when trying to whitewash truth to make other people feel comfortable--especially people who are so far removed from it anyway.  But it also truly does make me sad when people feel that they have to be a part of something they do not believe in.  I don't like to see people in this type of identity crisis pain.  It hits entirely too close to home.  I want to shake them and tell them to get their act together, and then I want to hold them and tell them it will be okay.

Finally, I want it to be clear that I do not judge, nor do I care what other people believe.  Whatever people subscribe to is between themselves and any higher power (or lack thereof) that they acknowledge.  I am a true champion of free agency.  What I do not like, is people trying to change what I believe.  Tweaking doctrine here and there, trying to make everyone nice and comfy with concepts that don't have an earthly basis is an attempt to take away my identity.  Cut it the hell out!!!

Q-waaaa-ck

2 comments:

BHodges said...

I think calling it terrorism is a bit of a stretch, since the term today connotes suicide bombings or honor killing etc. I see more of an emotional blackmail type situation than terrorism, and it's all the more tragic because I think it is borne of good intentions turned to bad ends.

Cultural Mormonism is the driving force behind this attempt to cozy up to mainstream Christians.

I don't really see these as connected. I think the tendency to elide difference is a result more of proselyting and fellowshipping concerns, not embarrassment of cultural Mormons.

Lukewarm fence dwellers will be spit out of His mouth. Boldly claim what is yours, whatever that may be.

I tend to see more of a "seasons of faith" thing where we all go through periods of fire and fallow. Don't be so hasty to invite folks to leave, IMO. I'm more interested in a broader tent type atmosphere where members can feel more free to have different opinions without feeling threatened or alienated.

What I do not like, is people trying to change what I believe. Tweaking doctrine here and there, trying to make everyone nice and comfy with concepts that don't have an earthly basis is an attempt to take away my identity.

This is perhaps your strongest paragraph, but I wonder just how much someone else can really force you to change what you believe.

Duckie said...

I also wish for a "seasons of faith" thing, however, I have talked to people who literally do not have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Not a waxing and waning type thing--flat out no testimony. In my mind, that is a real and essential basic. I would rather people be part of something that spiritually uplifts them and actually helps bring them closer to God instead of going somewhere simply because it is comfortable, or because it is where Mom went.

The people I am referring to are changing what I believe by advocating the change of basic doctrine in the restored Church of Christ. Whether I like how the Church is being run or not, it is the home of the Priesthood, and the home of that restored Church. By changing things in order to fit in it is taking away a major outlet the world has for truth. I believe in truth--more than anything else. Where does one turn when all the truth has been compromised away?

Thanks for the comments :)