Monday, April 9, 2012

ON the Earth, not IN the Earth

Music: There is a light that never goes out-The Smiths
Mood: Appreciative

In this post I will briefly discuss the post title, the song, and the mood. A duckonawire first.

Title: I can't remember when I found out the truth, but I know I was in my St. Peter's uniform so I was either 6 or 7. Either way, I can still accurately recall (because I sometimes still feel it) the terror I experienced upon finding out that we lived on the earth, as opposed to in it. Looking at a picture of Earth, I thought all the blue stuff on the surface was the sky and that is of course what we saw when we looked up. Sometimes this thought still overwhelms me and I feel the need to hold on to something. A brilliant metaphor I suppose.

Music: This is my favorite song by The Smiths. It just felt right today. The concept of it being a privilege to die by one's side is quite a compliment. I have always connected with this song for its skew on mortality. I am not as attached to my own mortality as everyone else seems to be, and I have always felt apart because of it. This song helps me feel more at home with my apathy. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen, but it is still a great tune.

Mood: In contrast to my mortal apathy there is so much in this world (and beyond) that at my core I am so grateful for. While there is so much that I have not (and may never) accomplish which I wanted to, there is quite a lot that I have accomplished especially in the past 2 years and sometimes I need to give myself a bit of a pat on the back for it. So, way to go, Duckie--you did it! The ton of help I have received along the way is what I am grateful for. I am still here, I am still doing it.

On a different blog I go to we are discussing the difference in concept between original sin, and innate sinfulness. Have any ideas on it? It is an important distinction for me as a rejection of original sin was one of the things that drove me away from Catholicism.

I am still trying to get over a bad cough that has spread to my throat and ears. I have no insurance so I am trying to will it away sooner rather than later. It is not so bad as it was yesterday, so I am hopeful for a speedy recovery.

Aflac!

1 comment:

Deb Stevens said...

Way to go Duckie, for sure. I love that you're taking a second to pat yourself on the back, because I don't think we do this very often. Ever? So good that you are.

Original sin is not something I can really appreciate. I would rather believe that we're all perfect at our cores, but that we make mistakes and have outward flaws basically because of the circumstances we're in, or because of...well, lots of things that vary. But the idea of original sin makes me sad. Not that it's a bad idea, but I just look at Mo and Levi and think..."Perfect." So what does that mean?